Friday, December 3, 2010

War of the what?

Ok, it is official, I am declaring a war on scraps everywhere.  You are invited to join me, if you don't join willingly, you may be recruited.  This is a war, but it is a very peaceful war.  Sometimes it is even relaxing.  The goal of this War of the Scraps is to promote change, whether it is a change in how you collect scraps, use scraps, or even just in your perception of how you SEE scraps.  

Ok, so here's the down and dirty of War of the Scraps.  I have scraps, lots of scraps.  It sometimes is intimidating to look at all my scraps at one time.  So I have bins, lots of bins.  I have some bins that are hidden away in other people's houses, and are a pleasant surprise when I come across them, like a found treasure!  
I sometimes spend hours just looking through my fabric scraps, and dreaming of what they may, or may not become.  Some of my fabrics will be permanent scraps.  I have some pieces of fabric that I bought with the sole intention of them forever being scraps.  That's allowed.  Then I have some pieces of fabric that are perfect for every project that I work on and I try to incorporate them into several different things. 

The goal here is to show you some of the ideas that I have of how to use up scraps, sometimes I use up big scraps, and sometimes I use up tiny little pieces.  (These nine patches are finished 3/4 of an inch square!)  I also have some ideas on maintaining your scrap collection.  It is after all a collection, and like any good collection, you need to nurture that.  

Come back and visit often.  I have lots of fun dreaming and creating with fabrics.  
Are you ready to declare you War of the Scraps in your sewing space?

~therese